Skip to main content

(Perspective) Biblical: "Annie Are You Okay"

Ananias was a name I had considered for a son and jokingly giving him the nick name "Annie," in comparison to the Jonny Cash song, "A Boy Named Sue." The idea was to make light of it, give him thick skin, and essentially laugh it off. 

At that time I was only aware of one Ananias in the book of Acts. The story of Saul on the Road to Demascus (Acts 9:10-17) where he experienced his conversion to Paul. After studying more of Acts I was surprised to discover the first one and his wife Sapphira (Acts 5:1-5). Opted for another name.

The repetition of names is intriguing.  Two men with the same exact name yet extremely varying character traits. Ananias 1 lied witholding money from the growing church despite being welcomed and part of the church family. The second Ananias was instructed by the Lord to aide Saul despite his fear of Saul's reputation of persecuting the church. Ananias 2 baptized Saul and led him into a new walk with Christ. Saul's name was changed to Paul. We are inspired by many letters written by St. Paul, but often forget Ananias and his obediance to the Lord.

What is the relevance in using two varying characters with the same exact name? Could it corelate with our nature? Thus the question, "Annie are you okay?"  Are   Y O U  okay? One moment you're helping the church, next you're hindering it. The finger is pointing at me as well. I recently had a small blow up at someone who did not deserve it when moments earlier I was helping them. A split second of selfishness completely undid all the charitable work I had invested in this person's spirit with the childish words, "this is mine." The surrounding circumstances are not relevant at this point. The damage was done.

Saying it's our sinful Adam nature sounds like a cop-out. It's an "easy" excuse, but there truly is no other way to describe it. Paul expresses his personal frustrations with his limitations in Romans 7:12-24.  

"15 For I do not understand my own actions. For (C)I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with (D)the law, that it is good."

What a wretched man he goes on to cry.  Why do we do the things we will not to do? 

James 3:10 Out of the same mouth preoceed blessing and cursing. My brethern, these things ought not to be so.

St. Paul who calls us all saints was helped along the way in his walk with Christ by an Ananias who trusted God. The first one hindered the church by inentionally withholding and lying. Where do you fall within these two extremes?  We are to avoid a divisive person in Romans 16: 17-18. 

So I must ask, "Annie are you ok?" Or have you in fact been struck by a smooth criminal?


William Cuccio™ aka WCSmack™
https://www.curioos.com/product/acrylic/michael-jackson--smooth-criminal--pop-art

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Perspective) Biblical: Freedom In The House Of Mourning

Countless times I've expressed the expansive variety of options we're gifted here on Earth. Why do we limit ourselves to options ABCD, though? We're told we have free will. We're told we can do what we want with our bodies and choose when to have kids  But what does it really look like to have free will? I'll tell you now. Not caring about the options at all. Seeing everything as a gift. Realizing this world was designed to be enjoyed and lived in to the fullest extent possible. Again, why limit ourselves to simple options? Pick whatever car you want (as long as it's the color options they've presented you with.) Eat whatever type of french fry, icecream, or food that is available on the menu list at your favorite restaurant. We have personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with having options and opinions. The question poised here is simple: Are you really free, or just given options?  I was blessed to hear a wonderful sermon that presented this w...

15 December 2021 Dream

Dream last night was trying to meet someone outside to talk in person. Guess I got impatient.  Was outside at night fall. Was able to read street sign that read "Lara". Walked down the road to food joint. Inside I see some small black square shaped folding table, that some well dressed Mexican man was holding up, then allowed to fall and collapse. I was frustrated and annoyed that he left that mess. I attempted to fix the table. He quietly laughed to himself at my struggle.  I start laughinig like him in a mocking way. There were a couple of small stuffed pillows that I tossed to the ground with every laugh walking towards him. He looked at me pissed off and angry. A full cup of Coke in a paper cup with the lid on sat on the table where he stood next to it. He knocked it over and it spilled all over the floor leaving a long trail throughout the entire length of the restaurant. I hopped over it and said, "I'm not cleaning that. Guess everyone will have sticky feet the...

Respect Rules and Regulations

2 Timothy 2:5  "And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules." I find it interesting how mad people can get when a referee makes a bad call during a sporting event. I find it very interesting how angered and outraged a group of peoople will act when they're under the impression their team should have won, and lost due to rules being broken and someone failing to do their job right and make the correct call.  Many of these same people committed to these teams and their strict terms of correctness, also tend to ignore many rules of life.   I won't deny  that many rules are arbitrary, don't make sense and are designed to disenfranchise groups of people. Many are forced on people that deny your right to life.  Combat those things with respect. If it goes against your conscience which is part of you, you have the right to defend yourself. Those who are in power also are expected to lead, following rules wi...