Skip to main content

Crucial Conversations Book Discussion Chapter Four: Learn to Look- "How to notice when safety is at risk"

 Chapter Four: Learn to Look: How to notice when safety is as risk.

Major Talking Points:
1) Social First Aid: Watching for Safety 2) Stay Alert 3) Silence and (Verbal) Violence


Segment One: Learn to look for when a conversation is turning unhealthy or watch for conditions by "dual proceessing." 3 Basic Conditions: 1) Notice moment a conversation becomes crucial 2) Signs a person feels unsafe 3) Your style under stress and recognizing it.

Segment Two: Stay Alert 1) Anticipate entering a tough conversation-Reprogram your mind-Notice Physical changes: Heart racing, blurred vision, raised voice, silence etc. Realize signs symptoms early on. Go back to "Start with Heart." 2) LOOK for safety problems and signs that people are afraid. Fear response can look like forcing opinion on others or shutting down.
When a person feels safe they can say anything. "Nothing kills flow of meaning like fear." When you fear not being heard, you push too hard or one shuts down.

(Not related to the book, When you're a new creation in Christ that fear can be removed when you are perfected in love) When a person feels safe, they can be given negative feedback and can handle it.

When you realize there are safety concerns in conversation, be Curious, not angry or frightened.

Segment Three: Silence and Violence: (Verbal violence or trauma/tearing of the brain.) Flight or Fight v Silence or Violence. Knowing safety problems so that you can step out, restore safety, return to dialogue.
Silence in 3 forms, 1 Masking: sarcasm, sugar coating or, couching, 2 Avoid conversation or person, 3 Withdrawing or withholding information
Verbal Violence in 3 forms, 1 Controlling 2 Labeling 3 Attack
Look for your style of dealing with Crucial Conversations by taking their quiz.

Conclusion: Learn to Look for content and conditions, when things become crucial, safety problems, silence or violence.


Introducing our new website. Yourpresentreality.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Perspective) Biblical: Freedom In The House Of Mourning

Countless times I've expressed the expansive variety of options we're gifted here on Earth. Why do we limit ourselves to options ABCD, though? We're told we have free will. We're told we can do what we want with our bodies and choose when to have kids  But what does it really look like to have free will? I'll tell you now. Not caring about the options at all. Seeing everything as a gift. Realizing this world was designed to be enjoyed and lived in to the fullest extent possible. Again, why limit ourselves to simple options? Pick whatever car you want (as long as it's the color options they've presented you with.) Eat whatever type of french fry, icecream, or food that is available on the menu list at your favorite restaurant. We have personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with having options and opinions. The question poised here is simple: Are you really free, or just given options?  I was blessed to hear a wonderful sermon that presented this w...

15 December 2021 Dream

Dream last night was trying to meet someone outside to talk in person. Guess I got impatient.  Was outside at night fall. Was able to read street sign that read "Lara". Walked down the road to food joint. Inside I see some small black square shaped folding table, that some well dressed Mexican man was holding up, then allowed to fall and collapse. I was frustrated and annoyed that he left that mess. I attempted to fix the table. He quietly laughed to himself at my struggle.  I start laughinig like him in a mocking way. There were a couple of small stuffed pillows that I tossed to the ground with every laugh walking towards him. He looked at me pissed off and angry. A full cup of Coke in a paper cup with the lid on sat on the table where he stood next to it. He knocked it over and it spilled all over the floor leaving a long trail throughout the entire length of the restaurant. I hopped over it and said, "I'm not cleaning that. Guess everyone will have sticky feet the...

Respect Rules and Regulations

2 Timothy 2:5  "And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules." I find it interesting how mad people can get when a referee makes a bad call during a sporting event. I find it very interesting how angered and outraged a group of peoople will act when they're under the impression their team should have won, and lost due to rules being broken and someone failing to do their job right and make the correct call.  Many of these same people committed to these teams and their strict terms of correctness, also tend to ignore many rules of life.   I won't deny  that many rules are arbitrary, don't make sense and are designed to disenfranchise groups of people. Many are forced on people that deny your right to life.  Combat those things with respect. If it goes against your conscience which is part of you, you have the right to defend yourself. Those who are in power also are expected to lead, following rules wi...