Skip to main content

Hidden in Plain Sight (Response to New York Times Article The A.S.L. Interpretation of ‘WAP’ Was TikTok Gold. It’s Also a Problem.)

I'll just jump right into it. The very last paragraph in this article  is the most crucial part 

"After this viral moment, Black and deaf content creators hope to see the spotlight on themselves next time, and at least have this be an opportunity for people to learn more about accessibility. 'I want people to think of what the deaf community goes through every day,' Ms. Sutton said. 'Learn A.S.L. to provide access, not so you can do a song that goes viral.'"  


Everything else after this statement is fluff. I'd still highly suggest you read it to get the full context. Wonderfully written and well expressed and respectfully excluding the crude lyrics. That in itself is the problem that's only been best expressed through American Sign Language. This song is not an Anthem Call promoting this sex work. The ASL interpreter is relaying a message that this is a possible cry for help.

Read the lyrics to WAP at your own risk. I won't poison your eyes. Be warned. It's crude. It's happening to all women. This song in particular is perpetuating much of the abuse, abuse already plaguing communities of color.

Let me jump to another example. The movie The Car Wash. The character Abdul.




He is angry and had a chip on his shoulder. Why such anger?! He could see the truth and was trying to expose the true agenda enslaving people of color. No one wanted to hear. Just sing along with Richard Pryor and the Pointer Sisters, That's what we all do.  "You got to believe in something. Why not Believe in me?!" They sing.


(forgotten prostitute)



We sing along, dance like robots. It's all in good fun of course. Much like The Wiz! You've Got To BE SEEN WEARING GREEN! ONLY!"Emerald Green Song




WAP. Perform. Faust. I recall attending the Fresno Grand Opera to see Faust performed. The Satan type Character was played by a charming Asian man. (I met him after the show. Lovely man.) During the performance he and the main character are walking through the town while singing. At one point during the performance the crowd of people are separated into two sides. He points his hand to the left and the townspeople are caught up in a possessed frenzy at the hand of Satan. While singing still he moves his hand to the opposite side where his power captures the other set of townspeople, throwing them into a frenzy. 


The song is moving and arousing. When finished, on perfect point, he points to, we the audience, completely captivated and thrown into a round of applause on his command. We got lulled right in. He subtly BROKE the FOURTH WALL and pulled us into his performance. We're all victim to it.

Here I break a wall. Black women have high death rates in childbirth. Some of the Highest Domestic Violence Abuse, murder victims. THE LIST goes on. Highest Abortion. Small Population of US Population.  Why is this happening? This was not always our culture. 

There's much much to be said on these issues listed above. We could spend months. But for now. The wall must be broken. WAP is not an anthem to be celebrated. If women are more vulnerable than men, if black women are more vulnerable to white women, if a deaf person is also more vulnerable than the average person, combined, it looks as if there are silent victims out there. 


IT's beyond clear and obvious that there are many victims of human trafficking. There are also willing participants. I'm not demanding a ban on sex work. What they're demanding is much much better treatment. We're demanding more access to the vulnerable. To this end I'll finish where I started.


"After this viral moment, Black and deaf content creators hope to see the spotlight on themselves next time, and at least have this be an opportunity for people to learn more about accessibility. “I want people to think of what the deaf community goes through every day,” Ms. Sutton said. “Learn A.S.L. to provide access, not so you can do a song that goes viral.”"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Perspective) Biblical: Freedom In The House Of Mourning

Countless times I've expressed the expansive variety of options we're gifted here on Earth. Why do we limit ourselves to options ABCD, though? We're told we have free will. We're told we can do what we want with our bodies and choose when to have kids  But what does it really look like to have free will? I'll tell you now. Not caring about the options at all. Seeing everything as a gift. Realizing this world was designed to be enjoyed and lived in to the fullest extent possible. Again, why limit ourselves to simple options? Pick whatever car you want (as long as it's the color options they've presented you with.) Eat whatever type of french fry, icecream, or food that is available on the menu list at your favorite restaurant. We have personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with having options and opinions. The question poised here is simple: Are you really free, or just given options?  I was blessed to hear a wonderful sermon that presented this w...

15 December 2021 Dream

Dream last night was trying to meet someone outside to talk in person. Guess I got impatient.  Was outside at night fall. Was able to read street sign that read "Lara". Walked down the road to food joint. Inside I see some small black square shaped folding table, that some well dressed Mexican man was holding up, then allowed to fall and collapse. I was frustrated and annoyed that he left that mess. I attempted to fix the table. He quietly laughed to himself at my struggle.  I start laughinig like him in a mocking way. There were a couple of small stuffed pillows that I tossed to the ground with every laugh walking towards him. He looked at me pissed off and angry. A full cup of Coke in a paper cup with the lid on sat on the table where he stood next to it. He knocked it over and it spilled all over the floor leaving a long trail throughout the entire length of the restaurant. I hopped over it and said, "I'm not cleaning that. Guess everyone will have sticky feet the...

(Perspective) Biblical: " Jesus And The Departed "

Matthew 18:1-7 . Matthew 19: 13-15 "At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, 'Who then is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?' Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My Name receives Me." -Matthew 18:1-6 Jump forward to Matthew 19:13-15 . So now little children are brought to Jesus so that He may pray and bless them, but the disciples rebuke the children. Jesus responds, "Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them; for such is the kingdom of Heaven. He laid hands on them and departed from there." I appreciate the detail they add of Jesus departng from there after the prayer session. Imagine what He was think...