Skip to main content

The Edge Series: Useless Ring Girls V Pedestal Women V Models

 Our beloved cheerleaders, pep squads, models, and ring girls. They're there to boost morale, boost confidence, and get everyone pumped up for whatever sport or activity is taking place. These positions are usually held by females and tend to come alongside male dominated sports. 


There's been long debates of the utilization of these roles and the treatment of the participants. One example, professional football cheerleaders requesting to get paid during their practices, like the football players, and not just the days they work.  


Another concern, are their roles exhibitions of athleticism and talent, or exclusively objectification of women? In reality, probably both.  Despite reservations from modest conservative church ladies, many woman proudly promenade their freedoms to express themselves and perform whatever roles of their choosing.  Being objectified is not the issue to them, it's the goal. Many are now online making millions simply for being beautiful. 


It is always interesting to hear the perspective of men on this issue. Especially the men who have played extreme sports and have first person accounts of what really goes on. 

Khabib Nurmagomedov, retired MMA fighter makes alarming comments regarding "Ring Girls" at events:

Look, I don’t want to offend anyone. Ring girls are the most useless people in martial arts. What is their function? You can show that it is the second round on the screen.

Do they develop a sport? Or they help people to see that it is the second round now? What are they doing? Tell me, please.

I realise that is a history. History knows many mistakes. We read a history to avoid mistakes of the past in the future. If we look in the history, it says they are useless. That is my personal opinion.


"Ring girls are the most useless people in martial arts. What is their function?" He inquires. We know scientifically what their function is. There are countless studies displaying how seeing an attractive woman can make a person more impulsive and more energized. The mental stimulation gets the adrenaline going and everyone feels uplifted ready for the action. It's done in horror films all the time. 


More importantly, he goes on to say,  "I realise that is a history. History knows many mistakes. We read a history to avoid mistakes of the past in the future. If we look in the history, it says they are useless. That is my personal opinion." 


Why bring up history lessons in MMA? Why such a harsh criticism on something both males and females appreciate?  Perhaps there is more studying that needs to be done about human nature and the natural consequences when lines get too blurred. 


Don Cherry is a famous Canadian hockey player and long time commentator of the sport. He's famous for his "unconventional" suits and statements. Here's one of his more controversial comments:

"I don't feel women are equal. I feel they're above us. I think they're on a pedestal and they should not be walking in when naked guys are walking in. And some guys take advantage of it and I don't think (they) should be."


"And some guys take advantage of it and I don't think (they) should be."  

Hmm. 😕 History class, with the statements from Mr. Nurmagomedov, and Mr. Cherry makes me really think . . . 


He goes on to say "I don't believe women should be in the male dressing room," said Mr. Cherry, causing his broadcast partner, Ron MacLean, to grimace.

"I remember the first time it happened to me," continued Cherry, "guys are walking around naked and I hear this woman's voice. I turn around and she's asking me about the power play. I say, 'Let's go outside.' She said, 'I'm not embarrassed.' I said, 'I am."


Mr. Nurmagomedov says, "‘These [women] are passing by and showing people that it is the second round but no one looks at the [card]. I feel uncomfortable with my father,’ he said, per Bloody Elbow."


These gentlemen interestingly enough have the same idea that women should not be placed in vulnerable positions for the sake of entertainment. Dare I go further. Maybe many women are being taken advantage of behind the scenes.  "I realise that is a history. History knows many mistakes. We read a history to avoid mistakes of the past in the future. If we look in the history, it says they are useless. That is my personal opinion."


Finding healthy balance between these two opinions and realizing why they're both offended by the presence of females within close proximity to men in extreme sports. The women are not useless as the MMA claims. Their use is not being fully utilized. There are more respectful ways of utilizing a woman's features and attributes within those industries. I just don't know if they're aware. 


As much as I do appreciate and respect Mr. Cherry's position that he feels women are above men, there can be an unhealthy balance there as well resulting in another extreme response. Countless women take advantage of kind hearted men. 


Consider the rise of many online models, how they present themselves, and how they are treated. Many would argue their roles are completely useless. Still, many women proudly embrace it. But as Mr. Nurmagomedov has made mention about history, I believe this is what he may have been alluding to. Online Instagram Influencer  found dead by what looks like a murder suicide from a stalker despite being away from sports. 


Will this be the case for every female out there? Of course not! But let us heed the wisdom, perspective, and history of others to avoid more of these occurrences. This woman lived in a gated community. Many of the female news reporters, ring girls, and cheerleaders are on scene. Mr. Cherry, I believe, was alluding to something more nefarious, but of course he's simply labeled as sexist despite saying women are above men and deserve to be treated better. 

What say you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Perspective) Biblical: Freedom In The House Of Mourning

Countless times I've expressed the expansive variety of options we're gifted here on Earth. Why do we limit ourselves to options ABCD, though? We're told we have free will. We're told we can do what we want with our bodies and choose when to have kids  But what does it really look like to have free will? I'll tell you now. Not caring about the options at all. Seeing everything as a gift. Realizing this world was designed to be enjoyed and lived in to the fullest extent possible. Again, why limit ourselves to simple options? Pick whatever car you want (as long as it's the color options they've presented you with.) Eat whatever type of french fry, icecream, or food that is available on the menu list at your favorite restaurant. We have personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with having options and opinions. The question poised here is simple: Are you really free, or just given options?  I was blessed to hear a wonderful sermon that presented this w...

15 December 2021 Dream

Dream last night was trying to meet someone outside to talk in person. Guess I got impatient.  Was outside at night fall. Was able to read street sign that read "Lara". Walked down the road to food joint. Inside I see some small black square shaped folding table, that some well dressed Mexican man was holding up, then allowed to fall and collapse. I was frustrated and annoyed that he left that mess. I attempted to fix the table. He quietly laughed to himself at my struggle.  I start laughinig like him in a mocking way. There were a couple of small stuffed pillows that I tossed to the ground with every laugh walking towards him. He looked at me pissed off and angry. A full cup of Coke in a paper cup with the lid on sat on the table where he stood next to it. He knocked it over and it spilled all over the floor leaving a long trail throughout the entire length of the restaurant. I hopped over it and said, "I'm not cleaning that. Guess everyone will have sticky feet the...

Respect Rules and Regulations

2 Timothy 2:5  "And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules." I find it interesting how mad people can get when a referee makes a bad call during a sporting event. I find it very interesting how angered and outraged a group of peoople will act when they're under the impression their team should have won, and lost due to rules being broken and someone failing to do their job right and make the correct call.  Many of these same people committed to these teams and their strict terms of correctness, also tend to ignore many rules of life.   I won't deny  that many rules are arbitrary, don't make sense and are designed to disenfranchise groups of people. Many are forced on people that deny your right to life.  Combat those things with respect. If it goes against your conscience which is part of you, you have the right to defend yourself. Those who are in power also are expected to lead, following rules wi...