Skip to main content

(Perspective) Biblical: "Jesus Got Jokes"

What Things? Road to Emmaus & Talking With A Child

Read: Luke 24:13-31 Jesus has a good sense of humor. I’ve been pondering Jesus’s Question: What Things? Knowing He knew what they were talking about. Does anyone else notice how funny He can be? After the crucifixion, disciples are dismayed. Jesus appears along the road and engages in conversation.
Verse 19 And He said to them, "What things?" So they said to Him, "The things concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people,20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to be condemned to death, and crucified Him.
Was this a mini test? Speaking of mini tests, I happened to read this passage in the Bible prior to mine: During the peak of summer I made a silent prayer for rain. (Where I live, rain is rare.) Believe it or not we got a sprinkle of rain that day. Fast forward to another hot summer day. I made another silent prayer for rain, but I doubted it. Again it’s summer. No chance of rain. I considered what happened last time but still doubted there would be rain.

Three days later I’m visiting a horse ranch collecting succulents and repotting plants. I was inspired to start an ant farm. The ranch owner’s daughter was present as the family cared for their horses. Only about 10, I asked her if she knew where any ants were. Sure enough, she did and gave me specific directions to find them. While collecting ants I overheard her ask her mother if it was going to rain. What were the chances? It was a bit overcast but the majority of the clouds were white and puffy.
Within a few minutes of her inquiry, it did in fact rain. Everyone was shocked by the sudden rainfall. Her mother commented on her being right and impressed with her observation. I too was impressed, and humbled. I don't expect God to answer all my prayers the way I want them answered. Clearly, He can, but He does things His way, on His schedule. I remembered my doubts of rain, much like His followers doubting the resurrection. Our error, our doubts
The disciples walking the road to Emmaus and Jesus pretending to be ignorant. His question: "What things?" A pop quiz if you will. V 31: "Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their site." Just as fast as they realized was probably the same length of time for the rainfall. Very brief-Just enough for me to remember my prayer and my disbelief.
An innocent child named Emma took me on the road to Emmaus alongside with Jesus. You can’t make this stuff up. Jesus has a great sense of humor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Perspective) Biblical: Freedom In The House Of Mourning

Countless times I've expressed the expansive variety of options we're gifted here on Earth. Why do we limit ourselves to options ABCD, though? We're told we have free will. We're told we can do what we want with our bodies and choose when to have kids  But what does it really look like to have free will? I'll tell you now. Not caring about the options at all. Seeing everything as a gift. Realizing this world was designed to be enjoyed and lived in to the fullest extent possible. Again, why limit ourselves to simple options? Pick whatever car you want (as long as it's the color options they've presented you with.) Eat whatever type of french fry, icecream, or food that is available on the menu list at your favorite restaurant. We have personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with having options and opinions. The question poised here is simple: Are you really free, or just given options?  I was blessed to hear a wonderful sermon that presented this w...

15 December 2021 Dream

Dream last night was trying to meet someone outside to talk in person. Guess I got impatient.  Was outside at night fall. Was able to read street sign that read "Lara". Walked down the road to food joint. Inside I see some small black square shaped folding table, that some well dressed Mexican man was holding up, then allowed to fall and collapse. I was frustrated and annoyed that he left that mess. I attempted to fix the table. He quietly laughed to himself at my struggle.  I start laughinig like him in a mocking way. There were a couple of small stuffed pillows that I tossed to the ground with every laugh walking towards him. He looked at me pissed off and angry. A full cup of Coke in a paper cup with the lid on sat on the table where he stood next to it. He knocked it over and it spilled all over the floor leaving a long trail throughout the entire length of the restaurant. I hopped over it and said, "I'm not cleaning that. Guess everyone will have sticky feet the...

(Perspective) Biblical: " Jesus And The Departed "

Matthew 18:1-7 . Matthew 19: 13-15 "At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, 'Who then is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?' Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My Name receives Me." -Matthew 18:1-6 Jump forward to Matthew 19:13-15 . So now little children are brought to Jesus so that He may pray and bless them, but the disciples rebuke the children. Jesus responds, "Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them; for such is the kingdom of Heaven. He laid hands on them and departed from there." I appreciate the detail they add of Jesus departng from there after the prayer session. Imagine what He was think...